- Across the globe, 2.4 billion people do not have access to clean sanitation, according to the World Health Organization
- An estimated 1.5 million children die every year because their immune systems are not mature enough to battle diarrheal diseases
- 1.4 million deaths can be prevented each year by handwashing with soap
- Children under 5 who wash with soap can reduce their risk of pneumonia by 50%
- Hand washing with soap is among the most effective ways to prevent diarrheal diseases and pneumonia, which combined takes 3.5 million children’s lives annually.
There is an organization that is taking simple steps to see this problem stopped. Taking things we throw away and turning them into life for millions of children. Started by Derreck Kayongo the Global Soap Project is taking used hotel soap and recycling it for sanitation issues. Check out their story and why they were among the top 10 of CNN heros this year.