Social Justice refers to the idea of creating a society that is based on the principles of equality and solidarity, that understands and values human rights, and that recognizes the dignity of every human being (taken from Kilns College).
Jesus last words in Acts 1 were basically this “go, quit standing around looking at me and go do.” A short time later when the disciples were gathered together in a room the Holy Spirit came upon them, then they went out and began to change the world. This Spirit that came on the disciples is the same Spirit that Jesus talked about in Luke 4, the Spirit that came upon him and anointed Him to proclaim the good news to the poor, bring liberty to the captives, bring sight to the blind and set free the oppressed. This same Spirit, as followers of Jesus rests on us.
Over the past 4 weeks we have been learning about issues that break Gods heart. Issues of injustice that are caused by sinful man and can be undone by the righteous, those who live rightly for Jesus. We have seen how small steps of justice can bring massive change to the oppressed. The slave can be set free, the hungry can be fed, the sick can be made well and this gospel should be preached to the whole world.
Today, we stop hearing about injustice and challenge you to go, quit standing around and go do something. This is where the fun happens, where the adventure begins. Its time to respond, its time to act, its time to stop being the goats and start being the sheep (Matthew 25). Its simple really, all you have to do is take a step. Here are a few things you can do today to love others out of your love for God.
- Buy Direct trade coffee instead of the cheap stuff made by migrant workers getting paid pennies. Stump town is an example of how this is done, and its yummy. Its also a bit pricy, so don’t drink 15 cups a day, just have one or two good ones.
- Give a day’s wage to someone who needs it much more than you, and get a tax receipt for it. One Days Wages have integrity and give 100% of your funds to where it is needed the most.
- Go over the October Justice month and do one of the action days again, or get a friend or your community to do it with you.
- Tell someone about Jesus, if we truly care for people then we want them to be free, this freedom can only be found in him. Yes it is awkward at the start, but don’t let your feeling awkward stop you from sharing the good news of Christ.
- Give to the October Justice project and send 4 people to school in Cambodia this fall. It’s simple, give a dollar or five or $20 and change a life and a community. We will match up to $2000 of gifts.
- Go on a trip with Steps of Justice and see what it looks like to practically live out Matthew 25. Everything you do in Cambodia with Steps you can do when you get home. We all want to do justice, let us walk you though what that can look like in our everyday lives.
- Pray, ask God what you can do to respond. The world needs you, you are anointed to go into it and bring the good news.
That is the end of October Justice month, not go and do.