On the morning of April 25 a 7.8 magnitude earthquake shook Nepal and the surrounding areas. Over 1,300 people have died in the past 12+ hours and that number will only rise in the next few days. As brothers and sisters we need to respond to our fellow man and woman in that region. There is no wrong way to respond, the only wrong thing is not to respond. Here are a few ways you can respond to this need currently.
- Pray– Pray for peace and healing. Pray that the aftershocks will be few and of low magnitude. Pray for the workers who are going in there to help with the recovery efforts. Pray and ask if Jesus wants you to give or go.
- Give– There are many ways to give to this need. There are also many organizations who are providing ways to give. Here are a few from an article in Mashable:
- World Vision calls itself a Christian organization that helps bring children out of poverty, and tries to build communities with its relief work. The organization already has a presence in Nepal. Donate to support World Vision’s relief efforts in Nepal, here.
- Oxfam is an international organization dedicated to fighting poverty. It also has a presence in Nepal. Donate to Oxfam’s relief efforts in Nepal, here.
- Samaritan’s Purse describes itself as an evangelical Christian organization that works “in crisis areas of the world.” It has a presence in Nepal.The organization’s website hasn’t put up a donate page yet, but this page about the earthquake has a donate box at the bottom, where you can enter a dollar amount.
- CARE (Cooperative for Assistance and Relief Everywhere) is a large humanitarian organization, again with a presence in Nepal. Visiting its website will take you to a page where you can donate to CARE’s relief efforts in the country.
- Save the Children, an organization dedicated to helping children in 120 nations, also has a network in Nepal. Donate to its relief efforts in the country, here.
- UNICEF, which works to ensure that every child has a safe and healthy childhood, is on the ground in Nepal aiding children and families. You can donate to UNICEF’s efforts online. In addition, you can automatically donate $10 by texting “Nepal” to 864233 (UNICEF).
- GO– You can go. Yep, that’s right you can go. They need help, skilled help, man/woman power, water, solar, and more. Pray and ask Jesus if you should go and we can help hook you up with an org that is working on the ground.
Jesus, we pray peace on the nation of Nepal. Peace and healing. Amen.